Questions 1: Armor? Why do we need armor? Isn’t this the 21st century?
Answer: It’s easy to forget about what we can’t see. But the truth is, we are in a battle – every day. Ephesians 6 says we are not fighting against flesh and blood but against:
Powers of this dark world
Spiritual forces of evil in heavenly realms
I don’t know about you, but that causes my blood to run cold. I cringe at how often I live my day as if cooking, cleaning, shopping and laundry are all that is going on. But, it’s not. Whether I am aware of it or not, there is a battle all around me. A battle for my joy, my peace – your joy, your peace. A battle for all that is holy, right and good. And the enemy is very serious about it. He has an army – a big army with rulers, authorities, powers and forces of evil fighting against us. On my own, it’s hopeless. So yes, my friend, I need armor – and so do you.
Question 2: Is there any hope? How can I possibly fight the forces of evil alone?
Answer: Great question! The good news is that you don’t have to fight alone. Actually, you shouldn’t even try. No offense, but you’re not going to win alone. Ephesians 6 says our strength comes from God and his mighty power. Did you get that? It didn’t just say God’s power. It says God’s mighty power. Here’s the thing: the battle in the heavenlies isn’t against two equal forces. God and Satan are not equal. God created Satan. He is a god wannabe. Not God. (“He is far above any ruler or authority or power or leader or anything else – not only in this world but also in the world to come.” Eph 1:21)
Question 3: So what’s my part and what’s God’s part?
Answer: This is God’s battle – and He has already won! “…the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.” 1 John 3:8. God has done it all! He is truth. He has made a way for us to live rightly, then gives us the Word of God, access to Him in prayer, power to believe the promises He has kept in the past so we know He will keep the ones in the future, and stability as we cling to Him to fight for us. How awesome is that? God’s done it all for us! We just need to show up and let Him work through us.
1. Put on the armor of God.
- The Belt of Truth – God is truth and all He does is true. We need to align our lives with what is true. “Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:32
- Breastplate of Righteousness – We have His power to help us live rightly when we submit our will to His. “For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him” Phil 2:13 NLT
- Shoes of Peace – A Confidence in God’s ability to handle whatever I’m facing. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Phil 4:6-7
- Shield of Faith – Believing God is who He says He is, and He will do what He says He will do. “But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one.” 2 Thess. 3:3
- Helmet of Salvation – Jesus did it all by paying the penalty for my sin and setting me free. “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.” Eph. 2:8-9
- Sword of the Spirit – We have a manual for living given to us by the Holy Spirit. “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. 2 Tim 3:16-17
2. Stand. Ephesians tells us to stand four times! We aren’t charging into this battle. There is no defensive strategy. Just try and not fall down – and if you do, hurry on and get back up. That’s it.
3. Pray. Ephesians says to pray three times! Prayer is our communication line with God. Don’t try and go it alone! Go in God’s strength and might!
I lift my eyes off what I see around me and focus on you. Thank you that the battle is already won. Thank you that you come to give us life and give it abundantly. I ask your forgiveness for the times I’ve tried to live life the way I wanted to. I need your wisdom and strength each day. I need your power to live alert and ready for battle. I believe you are faithful and true. Thank you. In Jesus Name. Amen.